Homework due for today
Legend: : Participation | : Early | : PDF | : Portfolio | : Zipped
- Study “The Lean Startup”, Chapters 1, 2 and 3. As you read please think about the following warmup questions:
- Read: Inventor who gave his idea away and Students Inventing Programs to Streamline Their Colleges. Deliverable: Write a brief reflection, responding to one of these two articles – thoughts, disagreements, reflections
Interesting (but optional) reading
- Review homework and discuss the reading
- Key points of Lean Startup from the initial chapters
- Discussion of the pilot project process
- Everyone has a million ideas
- Few know how to turn the idea into a successful product or service
- Discussion: What is your definition of ‘successful?’
- So: Don’t be so secretive!
- You (almost) always gain more from sharing your idea and getting feedback
- Keeping it secret usually only provides an imaginary competitive advantage
- Good article: Inventor who gave his idea away
NB If your idea is so simple that a 10 minute description is enough to allow someone else to beat you.... then your idea wasn't really worth that much anyway!
- The Pilot Project
- Teams are determined. 5 students per. Term project will re-shuffle. Please sit together!
- Be ambitious (but not unrealistic). Consider a “match making” service or a “marketplace”. Consider interesting/unique UI ideas. Consider a message-stream.
- You may play with and or extend the idea. Pivots from basic vision are perfectly fine!
- Discussion: Let’s practice. Some hypotheses for Student Buying Club?
- Samples: Types of hypotheses