Group discussion or focus groups start with a specific objective or hypothesis. We somehow find a group of 4-8 people and sit around a table. You very gently lead the discussion and try to keep it focused on getting your question/hypothesis answered.
- On campus a simple approach is to go to the library or other study area, approach people aleady sitting together to ask for a few minutes
- Another approach is to organize an evening session with Pizza
- This works for all kinds of questions, from positioning, naming, validating problems or product features, pricing and other topics
- Be careful to not let your preconceptions leak into the discussion
- In somewhat smaller groups this is also very valid for doing usability tests.
- Better not to have any tools other than paper and pen